Monday, August 29, 2011

Eifel Vacation Day 5 - Koblenz and Cochem

 We were only a few kilometers away from Nurburgring. A racetrack with parts of it built in the 1920's. In one of the shops they had made the whole track under glass on the floor. It was really cool.
 They had a race or warm-up or something while we were there and here's Laney checking out the cool little race cars zooming past.
 Ty pretending to be a race car and 'driving' on the track.
 Ty in front of his favorite race car.
 Laney in front of hers.
 Ka-chow!! Ty driving Lightning McQueen.
 Laney trying her hand at steering Lightning on the right track.
 After the race track we went to Koblenz. The first thing we saw was this history monument. I really liked it. Every level on the monument depicted different periods of history in Koblenz. It was really cool.
 While we were in Koblenz there was a flower/garden conference thing going on. It was nice because the whole city was decked out in beautiful flowers and plants but a little annoying because big areas where fenced off. oh well..
 Ben liked these flowers and wanted me to take a picture.
 We walked past this sign and Ty looks at me and said, 'Mom, if i climb up the pole and touch the sign will you give me a euro or a dollar?' My little ignorant self thought, 'Yeah whatever.' He's been practicing climbing up things for a while now and has never gotten to the top without help. Well, lo and behold, the kid climbed up the sign and touched it!! I had to give him a dollar.....and I was happy to. What a man-cub that boy!!
 This giant statue is of German Emperor William I. He was honored with this monument 9 years after he died. On the monument is says, "Nimmer wird das Reich zerstoret, wenn ihr einig seid und treu." (Never will the Empire be destroyed, as long as you are united and loyal.)
 Deutsches Eck (German Corner) - where Moselle river joins the Rhein river.
 Behind the monument of William I. In 1949 president Theodor Heuss turned the German corner into a monument for German unity and on each of these columns all the German states' coats of arms are represented.
 The front of the monument.
 Basilica of St. Castor.
 On our way home from Koblenz my dad wanted to show us this little touristy town of Cochem. It was beautiful. Look at that castle. It was up on a hill and it was just gorgeous. I had to look away several times because it was just too pretty. I just couldn't handle it. :D
 The view from the castle. Ben, Zak and the kids hiked up to the castle and looked around. The older folks (my dad, mom and me (yes, I'm almost 30 sniff sniff)) stayed behind to take care of Nyah since she just couldn't handle any more that day....hee hee
 Zak, Laney and Ty checking out the canon up by the castle.
Only leave nice comments!! I have a canon and I'm not afraid to use it!! Just kidding. :D

No comments: